Teaser Thursday


















I'm in the middle of A Room with a View (fantastic!) and thought I'd share a couple of highlights. Both these passages center around Lucy, who in the first doesn't know really what she wants but does without a doubt in the second. Enjoy!

"My dear," said the old man gently, "I think that you are repeating what you have heard older people say. You are pretending to be touchy; but you are not really. Stop being so tiresome, and tell me instead what part of the church you want to see. To take you to it will be a real pleasure."
Now this was abominably impertinent, and she ought to have been furious. But it is sometimes as difficult to lose one's temper as it is difficult at other times to keep it. p.24

"I won't be protected. I will choose for myself what is ladylike and right. To shield me is an insult. Can't I be trusted to face the truth but I must get it second-hand through you?" p.187

No comments: