Stealing Heaven by Elizabeth Scott

Eighteen year old Danielle has never been to high school, she's never  lived in one place for more than a few months at a time, and she's certainly never been in one place long enough to make friends. All because Danielle is an expert silver thief. Thanks to her mother's training (and questionable morals) Danielle has been stealing since she was a toddler and can plan the most expert of heists. Even though she loves her mother, Danielle has never wanted the life that gives her mom such a high - a feeling that becomes even more sharp as the pair travel to Heaven, a beach front tourist town, bursting with potential targets. In Heaven Danielle does the unthinkable. Unwillingly, she begins to make friends. Spending time with the chatty Allison is bad enough but when Danielle finds herself drawn to the goofy cop Greg, she knows her world could collapse at any moment.

Why hasn't anyone told me about Elizabeth Scott before? Okay, okay. I'm sure someone has before, but goodness knows why I've waited so long to pick one of her novels up. I'm sure my reluctance is in part due to the lackluster covers. My standards are fairly high when it comes to contemporary YA novels and these headless girl covers do absolutely nothing for me. But really? Stealing Heaven could not have been more perfect! Seriously, I have the wonderful Nomes of Inkcrush to thank once again for her spot-on recommendation of this book.

I honestly loved everything about this book. I love Danielle and her astute observations of people and life. I loved her wry sense of humor and her vulnerability. Yet I also ached for her in her unwavering faithfulness to her flighty mother. And boy howdy, I also totally loved Greg! There aren't many guys who could manage to ask out a girl in front of the grocery store seafood counter and not come off looking like a total idiot.

Elizabeth Scott is a fantastic contemporary writer - I adore that she writes older characters - not just 16 year old teens. In fact (I'm sure this will get me in trouble with some folks, but here goes...), Stealing Heaven was everything I wanted Sarah Dessen's novels to be. Funny and poignant all at the same time with unforgettable characters who are just trying to figure themselves out.

So to all you Elizabeth Scott fans out there (and I know there has to be many) which of her books should I pick up next? Cause I'm definitely ready for more!

Because Everyone Likes a Second Opinion:
In The Good Books review
One More Page review
Steph Su Reads review
The Story Siren review
YA Book Reviews

book source: giveaway from Nomes -  Thank you! Thank you!

10 comments:

Nomes said...

oh my gosh! phew! i am SO relieved you loved it <3

i really adore everything about this book. it just hits the spot for me :)

as for recs of her other books ~ well, you've already read my absolute favourite of hers ...

my other two faves are: Perfect You (which is much more high school but I love it to death. it has many swoony kisses and its a book where the reader gets everything before the character does but but that didnt detract from my enjoyment)

and LOVE YOU HATE YOU MISS YOU. which is edgier and grittier but still completely sucked me in.

My least fave of hers is The Unwritten Rule ~ which I may have liked as a teen but an an older YA reader it just did nothing for me ...

oh i am so pleased you loved this.

<3 Dani and Greg :)

Annette Mills said...

I need to get on the Elizabeth Scott bandwagon -- and so far, this one sounds like the best one to start with. Great review! Thanks!

Holly said...

I read Perfect You and enjoyed it, but didn't LOVE it. I do like the silver thief angle, and that Nomes recs it so highly. :) I just may have to pick this one up. Thanks for the review.

Chachic said...

I've never read an Elizabeth Scott contemporary YA before and I'm glad you reviewed this. Adding it to my wishlist now. Like Holly said, if you and Nomes highly recommend it then I'll probably enjoy reading it as well.

Kitten said...

The copy on this just seemed kind of depressing. I think I find books where the mother is checked out sort of sad. I want to give it a try, but I'm wiffle-waffling pretty hard on reading it.

Michelle said...

Nomes - Yup! How could I *not* love it ;) And I've already got PERFECT YOU & LOVE YOU, HATE YOU, MISS YOU on hold at the library so I'll be checking out those ones soon...

Annette - Don't worry, I'm late to the party too, but yes, this one is the *perfect* book to start with!

Holly - I think this one would be right up your alley. And it's a real quick read, I think you'd enjoy it.

Chachic - Oh good, I'm interested to see what you think as well, but honestly? I bet you love it!

Kitten - I totally get what you mean about the mom (or lack thereof), usually that's a turn-off for me too (like in Sarah Dessen's books) but for some reason it didn't bother me as much here. Maybe because Dani is 18 already or because she is such a stand-up girl and doesn't excuse her moms behavior? I don't know, but I'd recommend this book any day.

Lisa Lee said...

Good review, I really want to read this one. Would you like to mail your mother your copy? Hint hint....

Aaron said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Angiegirl said...

I really enjoyed BLOOM by Scott.

Tina said...

Dropping by because I saw this review in my referrals. :)

This is probably my favorite Elizabeth Scott book. I'm not a big big fan, but for some reason, I still read her even if I didn't really like her other books. This one is just right. I'm a big fan of Sarah Dessen (and don't worry, your comment won't get you in trouble with me! :D), but I think I liked this one a lot because it felt like a Dessen. Even if I really shouldn't be comparing. Hee. :D